Monday, December 31, 2012

Cheesy Grits, and Oyster Stew on New Year's Eve


Speaking of fried grits – as we have done and will again – my daughter hosted Christmas for family and friends this year. To keep the pressure down, she and her daughters prepared some casserole dishes a day ahead, then heated a spiral ham and the casseroles on Christmas Day.
One of the casseroles was Cheesy Grits. Not only were they delicious that day (I had two helpings) but I brought some home and had fried cheesy grits for several breakfasts. Yum!!
The preserved lemons turned out great. I put some in jars and printed out a simple little cookbook of preserved lemon recipes and gave them as gifts. I saved some, of course, and have used them in salad dressing and in a bread pudding. Yum!! again.
New Year’s Eve rushes in as I write this, and I’m off to prepare our traditional oyster stew. Butter and half-and-half, chicken stock, oysters, sautéed green onions and a few herbs and spices. Rich and tasty. It’s no time to pull punches. Celebrate! Some steamed shumai on the side. Yum, yum, yum. Maybe finish the evening with hot buttered rum. Yum a rum rum, yummy. (No, I haven’t had a wee drop as yet.)
Recipe for cheesy grits:
One cup grits cooked according to box
1/2 lb of sharp cheddar cheese
2 to 3 cloves garlic squeezed
Dash each of Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce
1/2 stick of butter
Fold in two beaten egg whites after cooling
bake at 350 for about 1/2 hours
I can see adding sautéed onion, green chilies, green onions, variety of cheeses. 

HAPPY NEW YEAR with many more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment